Sunday 3 July 2011

So this is "normal"

I've had a brilliant week. I'm so happy that I've got this new job, not only from a financial point of view, but also that I now have some structure and routine in my life. Being unemployed for a long time is extremely boring. It's so nice to get up first thing in the morning, and have a purpose for the day. This was exactly what I needed.
I'm really enjoying the work - the family are all very nice, and the children are generally well behaved. I feel welcome in their home, and I don't have to do anything too extreme or taxing. It has been quite tiring this week, but I suppose it's a shock to my system to have to be up early and do lots of things after such a long time spent being idle. It's just a shame that this job, or something similar, never came up before now, as it's so perfect for me. I actually have all of the next week off because the children are going for a holiday, which is a bit disappointing as I'd like to be doing something. At least now I have a bit of money so I can actually do something nice, not just sit around at home.
Another nice thing about my work is that it's in the countryside, which is so different to what there is in my country, and it's quite a good experience to see this. I'm not really a countryside person, but it's interesting to see somewhere so different to Turku, and to have a change of scenery for a few hours each day. The downside is that I'm covered in insect bites as the weather has been extremely hot this week and bugs are everywhere.
On Thursday this week I went to visit Emma's sister at her home. She and her family live in Hirvensalo, which is an island connected to Turku by a bridge. I'd never been there before, but it's a very pretty area, which lots of trees and greenery. I doubt I'd choose to live there, but it was a nice place to visit, and it must be good for children living there as there's so much space. Hirvensalo is very suburban, whereas I'd much rather be in the city. I had a very nice dinner with them, and saw their home, which is lovely. It was nice to do something different and meet someone new.
On Friday Emmi and I went to see the medieval market that's being held in Turku this weekend. Unfortunately, that was the one time there was a heavy downpour of rain, and we got soaked. It's so hot that we dried off relatively quickly. We didn't buy anything, but there were lots of pretty craft items for sale, and it was good to see people dressed in costumes from the middle ages. We also saw a large hog roast, which didn't impress me much, being a vegetarian. I'm glad we went to have a look; it's a pretty big deal here and attracted a lot of attention. Many people had mentioned it to me and recommended it, so it was worth having a look.
I hope the next week will be equally enjoyable, and that I find something interesting to occupy myself. As I now have a travel card for buses, paid for by my employers, perhaps I can take a trip to Naantali or somewhere else nearby.
Plus it's my birthday in two weeks! All gifts and cash donations will be accepted, haha.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new job!
    My first job in Turku was as an Au Pair too! and I can tell you how incredible grateful I am to have had that experience. It was very demanding at first, because I had to travel a lot by bus, and I started in winter so I never got to see daylight, so I was very tired all the time, but then when the weather got better and I got to do fun things with kids, I felt that that was a dream job. I am very grateful with this family because they are now my finnish family, I love them very much. It was also great because I learned a LooOoOOoooot of finnish, so take advantage of that!
    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im sorry to inform you that au-pair isnt a job, atleast not in finland. You get some pocketmoney out of it but still its wrong to say its a job.
    By definition au-pair is cultural exchange where you get to live in finnish family and get experience and bit of pocket money in exchange of light household chores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.) I don't live with the family, I live in a house in central Turku which I pay monthly rent for, and have done since the start of this year.
    2.) The "pocket money" I receive is more than enough to cover said monthly rent, plus give me plenty to cover my other expenses.
    3.) I've hardly just started on a "cultural exchange" when I've been here almost a year already. And my reason for being here has nothing to do with wanting to have a "cultural exchange".
    4.) Who are you coming and criticising me? If I say it's a job, it's a job.

    I imagine you're just one of those people who likes to carp and sneer at others. What I write on here is very limited, as obviously how much I earn etc is no one's business. Until you actually have more/better information on my situation I suggest you don't write comments intended to put me down and cheapen my situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well bloody said Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete