Wednesday 27 July 2011

Dark nights

I've noticed that the nights are getting dark again. Daylight still lasts for quite a long time, but the period where it never really got dark seems to be over. I find it a bit sad. Whilst the nights were light I found them creepy, but now that they're gone it seems a shame. It was very interesting to me because it was something brand new, and something specific to this part of the world. It always amazed me.
At least I'll be leaving the country before it goes back to the dark days of winter. It feels too early for summer to start disappearing.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I arrived three days ago, so I sort of missed the "perpetually light" phase of summer this year. My husband teases me for being so impressed with the daylight, but it's a seriously cool thing for a non-native to experience. No wonder Juhannus is such a big event. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you're here now! You must be very excited, and I hope you're managing ok. I understand how disorientating it can be at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I've spent some time here before, but realizing that this arrangement is permanent has been extremely disorienting. I hope you'll enjoy your remaining time in Finland. Think you'll ever come back? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm planning to come back as soon as possible once the university is over with, so hopefully in about one year from now. There's been a little development in my life which makes it much more certain I'll be back, but I don't want to say too much just yet...

    ReplyDelete