Monday 27 June 2011

Juhannus and another happy thing

First off...I have a new job! Finally! As an au pair for a family who live in Kaarina. I met them yesterday and started working today. Obviously I'm very pleased, and I also think it's very nice to have the opportunity to be outside of the city. They live in a quite rural area, and although I absolutely love Turku and where I live, it's nice to have a bit of variety. In terms of wages and other benefits I'm also very satisfied, and the family seem very nice, including the children. There was a lot to do but it wasn't so bad. So let's hope I've now turned a corner regarding money and work.



Now, onto Juhannus (midsummer). As I said, that's not a thing in my country, but Finland makes a massive deal out of it. And it was a pretty epic weekend. It started on Thursday, when we took a trip to Pori to rescue a friend escaping from the army for the night because he wanted to see Petri Nygård. That was a successful mission, but obviously I cannot name names with this.

Friday involved drinking throughout the day, which I wouldn't normally do but it seemed acceptable. Nothing very significant happened, apart from noticing how many shops and bars were shut for the holiday, which felt very odd. I'd been warned that the city would be quite deserted, and that proved to be true. I will say that I disagree with what I was told about midsummer drinking being a generally happier occasion - at least amongst my friends there seemed to be constant fights. Which was unfortunate, but they usually got sorted out.

Saturday involved more drinking, and me taking a surprise dip into the river, which was extremely unhygienic. I also managed to break my finger in the process of getting out again. Oh dear.

But now things should be back to normal, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow and the rest of the week. Here are a few pictures from my weekend.



6 comments:

  1. That's cool that you're working at Kaarina, because I live at Kaarina. I'm glad that you found a job! Best wishes to you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! sorry about the mis-advice about Juhannus, but I'm glad you had a nice weekend all the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!
    More specifically it's in Littoinen, but it's nice to see a more rural area.
    Well all the fights got sorted out relatively quickly, so it wasn't too bad. I suppose it's almost inevitable when there's so much drinking involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Littoinen is lovely - you should try and find the lake there, its a nice place to walk round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In fact I already have! On my first day the children wanted to go there to go swimming, and it is really lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been skiing and skating on that lake at winters.

    ReplyDelete