Sunday 12 June 2011

Hotter than hell

It's insanely hot! I never imagined it would get to be like this in Finland. Yesterday it was 33 degrees, which is such an enormous difference from the winter. English summers ofter get to these kinds of temperatures, but I didn't really expect it to happen here too. On Friday I even saw a rather fat old lady jump naked into the fountain outside the main library. It wasn't very attractive, but the police turned up very quickly. I can understand her feelings though. I constantly feel a bit dirty and disgusting, even right after taking a shower. I think it's going to cool down a bit next week; I really hope so because it's a bit too much now. This has been constant for about a week, and the weekend has been ridiculously hot. However, I'd rather it was like this than as cold as it was during the winter.
I've also noticed that it's not actually getting dark anymore - the sky just goes a kind of greyish-blue at it's darkest. For me it really is the strangest thing. The picture is of a very beautiful sunrise froma few weeks ago, but there isn't even a proper sunrise anymore. I'm not sure if I like this phenomenon or not.

It's now Monday morning. I started writing this last night, and apparently I spoke too soon, because I was woken up at 7.00am by thunder and torrential rain. It's not cold, just very grey and wet. I think I preferred the ridiculous heat and sunshine. Oh dear.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I blame you! Not really - I blame me for thinking the same... TOO HOT! Today is about 15 degrees and humid so marginally better than 30 and frying!

    The "white nights" phenomenon takes some getting used to - I still do and always will miss the stars in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least today hasn't been so sticky, but I notice the sun is creeping back out again...
    I haven't seen you for ages! I hope lovely little Xander is ok x

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's gorgeous! I've seen you... from the bus usually LOL! Let's get together soon.

    ReplyDelete