Tuesday 19 April 2011

The mämmi experience



I tried it. I hated it. Heli and Minttu really couldn't understand why. Minttu had been eating several bowls of it, and Heli commented that she couldn't imagine anyone not loving it. I tried the tiniest amount, and frankly it didn't taste any better than it looks. This is a Finnish thing I just don't get. It's a traditional, widely loved food, but I thought it was terrible.
Somehow it tasted very faintly of Christmas pudding, maybe because of orange peel. The texture was gelatinous and reminded me of rice pudding. It's not something I plan to eat again.

3 comments:

  1. Yuk, I hate it too! And I´m finnish!! Haha.. I would never put my foreign friends through the experience of mämmi... :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was horrible! My friends really couldn't understand my feelings somehow.
    It's so funny that I put that photo on Facebook and a lot of peole from England have written "what the hell is that?" and then one Finnish person is like "aww I love mämmi". This is a cultural difference that won't catch on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the same boat with yeahsussu here. I tried mämmi first time two years ago and only one of my close friends eat it, and he once a year. :P

    ReplyDelete