Friday 1 April 2011

Looking for a job

Yesterday I felt so ill that I didn't go to the employment agency, but I've been there now as I'm much better today. I have an appointment for Tuesday to get some help looking for work; their website is quite useless for me as the whole thing is available in English, except the job search. I'm a bit more optimistic now. I did have an alternative plan to get enough money to pay my rent, but that backfired. It probably would have caused more trouble though, so maybe that's a good thing. My landlady seems to be quite chilled out, so I hope that if I explain that I'm waiting to hear about benefits she'll be understanding.
The lady there also told me that when Kela have processed my application to be covered by them I can apply for unemployment benefits, which I hadn't thought of, I'd only considered the housing benefits. Technically that application should be acceptable, and I will hopefully get a letter about that next week. I wish I'd applied for all of this months ago, but as I said previously, no one tells you you need to do all this stuff, there's not enough information explaining what te necessary procedures are. Even Finnish people can't tell you that you should do all these things because they don't know either, none of this has ever applied to them so they've never had to find out.
Still a bit paranoid about what the outcome will be, hence why I'm looking for a job more actively than before. They were unable to help me in October because I didn't have a social security number at that stage, but as I do now it should be more successful. I wish I'd thought of going there before. I'd rather work than just live on benefits, but if that's how my rent will get paid I'll put up with it. I feel a bit calmer now, having done something to help my situation. I'm really worried about my rent, because all of these applications take time, but I hope that other people will be understanding. If all else fails I'll take advantage of the integration law, although, again, I'd prefer to have a job of some kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment