Saturday 2 April 2011

An excellent and surprising night

I was so bored and a bit lonely last night, I was worried about spending money. However, by 10pm I was talking to Emmi on Facebook, and we were both so bored and frustrated that we decided to just go out anyway. I was starting to think that, if I can't afford the rent anyway, another €40 on a good night out wasn't going to kill me. I'm so glad we didn't stay at home because I had a really good night, and now I'm in an excellent mood.
We met a lot of comedy characters last night. In Tinatuoppi various old men decided to make us to object of their affections, presumably because we were both the only women, and the only people under 50. I don't understand why Tinatuoppi has a lot of good looking, young customers during the day, and yet was filled with dodgy old men last night. We decided to leave fairly quickly. When we got outside, a very nice young man who had clearly ingested a lot of drugs invited us to go to Pori with him. Hmm. Perhaps not.
We moved on, and met two very nice ladies who love Stephen Fry. Excellent. I'm always very warm to people whose first words to me are "I like your piercing and you're really pretty." That's the kind of greeting I appreciate, as opposed to the kind of opening lines Finnish men use, such as "Beer is good" and "Are you German?" Those particular people also consider British people to have the best sense of humour in the world. The more I think about it, the more I realise that those women were definiely my kind of people.
Later we met Emmi's brother and his friends and went to Klubi. We went upstairs because the downstairs bar was so busy, and I was overjoyed to find it was EBM night! I've been wanting to find an EBM/goth club in Turku, but when I've asked others about that they haven't had any idea. I was starting to think that maybe that kind of thing would only be available in Helsinki. To be fair, this was a very small scale operation, but it was so nice to listen to that music and dance, just like I did a long time ago, before my life got a bit messed up and I was prevented from doing that kind of thing. I almost felt like I was back in Slimelight. It made me a bit sad, because I miss my friends and I miss those nights, but I think when I go back to London I'm definitely going to get back into dressing up and going out dancing like that. It used to be a pretty standard part of my social life, but I ended up losing it.
The best part is that Klubi has no entrance fee, so even if I'm completely broke I could just go there every Friday to dance! I had no idea they played that kind of music there, but I've only been there before on a Saturday, when they played quite normal indie stuff. I think there will be many return visits in store for me, and probably more dressing up. It's a shame I left most of my really nice "going out clothes" in England, as they seemed unnecessary, but I've still got some things. I'm really excited to have found this out, it was a very happy accident.
Now it's Saturday afternoon, I have an enormous blister on my heel and a bit of a headache, but I think that's a sign that things went very well last night.

7 comments:

  1. Oddly enough I was at that night too. Glad you enjoyed it. It's quite rare though as my bf's friend's bf is one of the organisers and DJ's. But I'm sure Club Sindrome will be on again a few months. Found your blog by looking up british food for some reason! Anyway's glad you like Turku!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know how often it usually is? I was really hoping it would be a regular thing but the Klubi website doesn't explain anything.
    Most Finnish people seem to find British food a bit weird and disgusting, it's nice that someone's interested in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is the myspace page http://www.myspace.com/clubsindrome

    Autopoietic is the dj I know. I guess it happens around every 5-6 months. I think it's something these guys do when they can get the booking for klubi and when they have the time. Sadly Klubi is the only independent (apart from Dynamo, which in my eyes doesn't count) venue and it is problematic to get regular bookings, or at least that is what I have understood from ppl running other nights.

    The best place to keep up to date with most club happenings is this website: http://klubitus.org/kalenteri.php?
    It doesn't cover all genres, all the time, but it is a fairly good resource for electronic music in Finland and various parties. If you like techno there's some nights called X-rust which held in random underground places around Turku!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I meant to say if you were confused, I'm a Brit not a Finn although I have been trying to feed by bf British food, which he doesn't mind since I think both Finnish and British food are just as bad as each other!! ;) oh and if you happened to see a slightly argumentative British girl on Friday, that was most likely me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, another British person! I've noticed a lot of Finnish people are extremely seuspicious of pickled onion Monster Munch...they're obviously missing something wonderful. Some Finnish foods aren't that bad; I tend to eat huge amounts of Karelian pies and herkkusienisalaatti. Lots of people are encouraging me to eat Mämmi but I'm still suspicious of how it looks...
    I looked at the myspace, it seems that the last event was in October so I guess it really isn't a regular thing, I must have got very lucky to be there at all. We must hve got there around 2.30, it was so empty upstairs compared to the downstairs bar

    ReplyDelete
  6. :( how much do I miss pickled monster munch! Most Finnish food is fine, however, mämmi pretty much tastes as bad as it looks, although you should try it just so that no-one bugs you to eat it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all say it tastes fine, but that if you think about what it looks like you just can't eat it.
    I've bought monster munch in the kaupahalli and freaked my flatmates out with it, but it's a bit too expensive to buy it regularly. British sweets are definitely better too. Fazer chocolate is nice but all the other bags of sweets are quite bad because I don't like liquorice.

    ReplyDelete