Friday 13 May 2011

Yesterday

My job interview was a success! Which is especially impressive as the person I was meant to cover for turned out to be the class teacher, not an assistant as I had assumed. I walked in, was put in front of a group of five year olds and told to teach them! It went ok though, and the girl acting as an assistant, who was a student on a work placement, asked how long I'd been working with children and didn't believe that I'd never done it before. Maybe this runs in the family or something. My mother was overjoyed to hear about this, although I don't think I want a teaching career.
Unfortunately, the job doesn't start until August, so even if they offer it to me I will be unable to take it. I've always intended to leave in September, plus I need a job right now. If it was starting next week or next month it would be perfect, and I would jump at the chance. I'm actually pretty disappointed because it seemed like a really nice place to work, and it appears that I'd also be good at the job. They are paying me for my work yesterday morning, which I'm very pleased about, it's definitely very welcome. I guess I deserve it because they basically used me as a substitute teacher.
For the rest of the day I just hung out at my friend's house and then with my flatmates. I was in a bit of a bad mood about the job. We watched ice hockey and the Eurovision semi-finals, and I'd like to remind everyone to vote for Finland. If you live in Finland vote for the UK!

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Im sorry can you tell me about this place? Because I am basically in an URGENT need for a job, you know the feeling. I have experience with in one finnish school where I worked as an teacher assistant, but I haven't had luck finding ANY type of job, and of course I don't receive help from KELA.. so... I'm pretty desperate right now :(
    my mail is vmyaky@gmail.com
    I would thank you so much if you could give me the information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you should ask them whether you could get hours as a substitute teacher. Even if it's May already you might make some euros :-).

    -T-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I was thinking of doing that. I quite enjoyed it, it seems that I did it well, and the staff were very positive towards me. Maybe they would appreciate some help if one of the teachers is ill or something.

    And if you need a job urgently this wouldn't be suitable because it won't start for months. Further to that they have finished accepting applications and were also looking for native English speakers only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I see :( thanks anyway :) :) !!

    ReplyDelete