Tuesday 24 May 2011

Lovely friendly Finns

Once again, what's all this about Finnish people being cold? Because, once again, a nice Finnish person who I've never met emailed me to ask to meet me! This lady invited me to a summer party tonight at a kindergarten, but as the weather has been crap today I decided against that, and also invited me to visit her home and family sometime. I'd be very happy to meet her at some point. So, I ask for the hundredth time, if Finnish people are so cold and horrible, how do these things happen?
Several of the friends I have in Turku are people who contacted me after reading this blog asking to meet me or inviting me to do something with them. Additionally, there are various friendly well-wishers, some living in Turku, some in other parts of Finland, who I have never met but who often write nice messages and comments for me. Then there are also the numerous people who have sent me emails or messages with advice and good wishes about looking for a job or adapting to Finnish culture. Last week a Finnish girl even wrote to me to ask for my advice in helping her foreign boyfriend settle in this country. For such a cold and anti-social nation they're all being very nice to me. Most Finnish people are quiet, and often seem shy, but they are so clearly not unkind or unpleasant. I've found lots of cheerful, friendly, cheeky little Finns. Plus, I'll be honest, I do quite like getting the "fan mail", so please keep it coming. Really, if any of you end up alone in a foreign country, just write a blog - you'll make loads of friends.
It's nice that this is happening, because apart from this the weather is rubbish and I'm running out of ideas when it comes to the job hunt. I tried applying to Itella/Posti this afternoon but their online job search decided not to work for me. Thanks for that. I decided to try listing some paintings on eBay as well as Etsy, but every time I go near eBay it decides to be naughty too. It seems that we're just not compatible. I'm looking forward to getting paid so I can call the council and get permission to sell paintings in Kauppatori, which hopefully will bring forth money, and be a lot of fun. I'd still like to do some tutoring or childcare, as I know I'm good at it and could probably make some reasonable money. If any of you need to be taught or looked after you know where I am...

5 comments:

  1. That girlfriend would be mine!
    Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful. When I have time soon, I'll read your whole blog, promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, well I hope I helped you both! Seriously, the language thing is so important so get on it as soon as you can. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! The Finns I know are nothing but lovely, kind, warm people. So what if they don't wave and smile incessantly at strangers on the street? I sometimes wonder if people from similarly reserved cultures -- sort of like English or the Northeastern US -- are used to this supposed "coldness." Either way, I think they're great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I was talking to a Finnish girl about it at the weekend, and we were thinking that English and Finnish people are quite similar. There's nothing wrong with being a bit quieter and discreet. Although I have met a couple of very loud Finns...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely living in wrong part of Finland then, as everyone here is icy cold in their nature and demeanor, I have never seen such hostile, unfriendly people in my life..been here for almost 2 years now, not a single finnish friend, not a single invitation from local person, just nothing but unfriendly and cold stares, wherever we go and whatever we do....I feel as if I am living among mechanical, heatless robots :(

    ReplyDelete