Thursday 24 March 2011

Kela got complicated

I was warned. They sent me a letter, very thoughtfully written in English, to tell me that I apparently don't have an address here! I should go to Maistraati to register an address. Hopefully, they will not direct me again to the police station, where I will be asked for €47 to register as a resident of Finland. I simply don't have €47 to chuck around like that! Emmi told me that when a Finnish person moves they go to Maistraati to change the information, so maybe that's the only thing there, and it just got a bit confused last time. I hope this is the case because €47 is a lot of money for me, and it's a bit unfair as I'm from an EU country, and therefore have a right to be here.
The other problem is that I can't find my old work contract, and was never even given a pay slip. I hope that calling the stamp shop for confirmation that I worked there is sufficient. Things are back to going in circles. What else did I expect?
More and more I'm wondering how on earth people emigrate without some kind of support network. I'm so lucky to have various people here who help me with these things, and I'm wondering how other people without that manage. Obviously it's entirely possible because millions of people emigrate, but I have no idea how they manage. There's no resource that tells you all the stuff you need to do and all the information you need to know, and especially when foreign languages are involved it tends to get a bit mixed up. I think that's one of the reasons why things have gone round in circles so much.

1 comment:

  1. You've just found the number one reason why most people hate having to deal with Kela, comfusing forms and you're never told what to get as "a whole" people just keep pushing you to fill the next piece of paper as the wheels of Kela turn slowly forward.

    Kinda reminds me back in the days when I was trying to get my moped off the vehicle register and was told that I'm missing the ownership part. I then asked the nice lady "is there anything else I need to take with me" and she said "no, that's all" and I just barely made it back there in time before they closed up and she goes "oh good, but you still need this form here signed by your parents". So I had to return there on the following day for the 3rd time and the lady just kept wondering why I was looking so pissed off.

    ReplyDelete