Wednesday 10 August 2011

Recent things


I've been a bit busy for the past few days - I'll explain why further on. Some nice things have been going on recently though.
Last night the dance theatre opposite my house put on a show as you can see from the photo. They'd placed adverts around our building to say that anyone was welcome to attend, but they held the show in the yard between the house and the theatre, so we were watching some of it from the kitchen and my bedroom. It was really nice though - a bit unusual, so that was fun.
A couple of nights ago I also found a new bar to drink in, which really reminded me of traditional English pubs, so that was cool. Actually, I've walked past it numerous times, and I always thought it looked decent, but I'd never gone inside before. I wouldn't mind going back. The interior was very comfortable and homely, it reminded me of local pubs and some Wetherspoons. It was a pleasant surprise.
The reason I've been a bit distracted is that I've met a man! He's lovely, and has restored my faith in Finnish men. They aren't all drunk and idiotic! Until yesterday he's been in Turku, as he lives in Tampere. That explains to you why I went to Tampere in the first place. One of my friends introduced us, and I'm very happy.
I'd also like to thank the universe, in it's wisdom, for suddenly producing someone I really like immediately before I leave the country! That was clever. It seems that nothing in my life can ever go to plan, but right now I don't really care. Love travels oceans and all that.
Now there's less than one month left in Finland, which makes me feel very sad. On the 5th of September my plane leaves from Helsinki. I'm thinking of this as just a temporary absence for me, and hopefully the time will fly by, as it has this year, and then I'll be back. There's nowhere else I'd rather be.
As this experience will soon be coming to an end, I'm planning to contact publishers in both this country and England, in a bid to turn this blog into a book. It has been much more widely read than I ever anticipated, and several people have recommended doing that, so I hope I can be successful.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new relationship! Sure, it makes things more complicated, but I'm sure it makes things happier and more pleasant, too.

    I spent a summer in Finland last year, and afterwards I had to leave to finish my schooling, too. It was, in a word, horrible, but taking steps to get back here really helped. You have a year left? If my experience is any indication, it will drag and drag while it's in progress, but when you're back to Finland it'll feel better than you imagined. :)

    Good luck publishing the blog! I have found it quite useful, and I'm sure tons of others do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Name the pub! You've always named the negative reviews now name the positive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hunters Inn, Brahekatu. I think it might be a chain.

    He's thinking about finding an internship or job in London for a bit before I come back, which might help things. Even if that doesn't work out, he's already looking at flights to London for holidays, and I'm obviously going to be coming back as much as possible, even if it's just for weekend trips. I don't have any experience of this, but I know others who do, and I think that if we really want it to work out we'll find a way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to the relationship! I also have experience from meeting a man just before I leave anothe country! I was studying in Australia and met this great guy just three weeks before I had to go home, so typical... Well, we had a long distance relationship for almost 2 years and I spent another year in australia after that. We´re not together anymore though, haha, but it worked fine most of the time! He got cold feet in the end though, hah :) At least England and Finland aren´t that far apart :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can second the two-year-long-distance-thing, as my husband and I have spent the majority of our relationship apart. It's certainly doable if you're both into it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I met my current bf of nearly 8 years when I was here on exchange. Went home to finish my degree and returned just after graduation and haven't left! So beware, if you come back again, you may never leave :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that's what I want!
    I was intending to come back anyway, but now there's another reason to do so.

    ReplyDelete